Several foods have proven to help balance pH levels—these are referred to as “alkaline foods”. By incorporating alkaline foods into your diet, you could positively influence your health. The benefits of alkaline foods are numerous, which include healing of digestive issues, bad breath, fatigue, and acne.
What does “alkaline” mean exactly?
Your body is in an alkaline state when its pH level (the scale to measure acidity) is higher than 7. The normal pH level of blood is about 7.4, making it slightly alkaline. The lower this number, the more acidic your blood is. An acidic atmosphere in the body can lead to various health issues that can be harmful and even deadly. Eating alkaline foods can help keep your body in the normal alkaline pH range.
What are some alkaline foods?
- Kale has been on the rise as a healthy trend veggie, because it is filled with fiber and many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, and calcium. Kale is packed with antioxidants that work against free radicals and cancer.
- Spinach is another leafy green that is loaded with vitamins. It is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin B, iron, magnesium, and folate. It may protect against disease and assist in digestion and weight loss.
- Beets are unique in the fact that they contain the plant nutrient betalain, which is a strong anti-inflammatory. Beets may also help with blood pressure and chronic pain.
- Garlic’s active ingredient is allain, which is another powerful anti-inflammatory. Garlic also has detoxifying properties and can help lower blood pressure.
- Coconut is beneficial whether it’s in the form of oil, water, milk, or coconut flesh itself. Because of its high fiber and MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) content, coconut can improve brain and heart health, weight loss, and digestion.
- Pomegranates are high in vitamin C and are a good source of calcium. Their juice has been known to remove free radicals and protect cells from damage.
- Sweet potatoes are a starchy food that is not acid-forming, and are therefore alkaline. Besides providing a healthy dose of vitamin A, fiber and magnesium, they may have the ability to fight cancer and lower blood pressure.
- Flax oil and olive oil have both been known to detoxify the body with an alkalizing effect. They can be used in conjunction with some of the foods previously mentioned to join forces and magnify their positive impact!