Electrical Safety and Childproofing

electrical safety

Child safety standards have come a long way since before the 1990s. Safety proofing homes and quality-perfected baby equipment became a hallmark of modern millennium parenting. But if you’re feeling like we are all going a bit overboard on the safety stuff, remember it’s better to go overboard than not do anything at all. Electrical safety measures, like childproofing your home, can save lives and keep you from the emergency room. Injuries from electricity can involve severe damage to organs and even death, according to healthychildren.org.

To keep your children from being shocked or and electrocuted, Hospitality Health ER has some tips on training your kids on electrical safety. Believe it or not, you can begin training them as early as crawling age.

1. Steer Clear of Electrical Sockets and Cords

You can train even your little crawlers to keep safe. Yes, you can use those plastic plugs to keep little children from sticking things in the socket, but you should also train to them to stay away from possible electrical dangers. Watch them closely as they explore. The second they get close to a cord, socket, or wire, tell them “No!” and redirect them elsewhere. For kids 4 and up who can understand you, explain in simple terms how cords, wires, and sockets are dangerous. Tell them how they can get really hurt by playing with cords or sticking things in sockets.

2. Electrical Devices Should Be Kept Away From Water

Shocks, burns, and electrocution in the home are often caused by using electricity near water. Talk to your children about the dangerous combination of electricity and water. Water that comes into contact with electricity from electrical devices, like blow dryers, irons, and even cellphones, can cause shocks and electrocution. Parents should teach children to tell an adult if an electrical device falls into water. Adults should read up on how to properly remove electrical appliances from water.

3. Avoid Fallen Wires, Broken Wires, or Sparking Wires

Teach your kids the dangers of electrical wires, especially those that are broken, fallen wires, or sparking. Wires can still be dangerous even if there are no visible sparks. Lastly, parents should teach their kids how to dial 911 for help if they spot an electrical hazard or if someone has been shocked or electrocuted.

For tips on how NOT to treat burns, read Hospitality Health ER’s blog here. You can also find a wealth of parenting and health blogs by visiting our website here.