As the threat of coronavirus has progressed in the US since our last blog, it’s time to adjust to a new normal. Unfortunately, many of these changes have come with a huge shift in lifestyle. Aside from social distancing, event cancellations, and travel bans, one of the most significant changes is the closing of schools in many cities. Parents and caregivers are now being asked to home-school their children during this COVID-19 school shutdown or at least ensure that their children are participating in educational activities.
As the world faces the unprecedented challenges of social distancing and the widespread closures of schools and businesses, parents and caregivers are encouraged to be patient during this time. Staying calm will help children not to panic. If teachers are providing virtual classrooms, parents should ensure that their children are participating. If there are no virtual classrooms, check with your child’s teachers to see if they have packets of work for your children to work on during this time. Most teachers have lessons for children to complete. Create a daily schedule so that your children do not become accustomed to getting up whenever they want. Maintaining structure and routines are important.
Sample Kids’ Schedule During COVID-19 School Shutdown:
8:00am: Wake up, shower, get dressed
9:00 to 11:30: Schoolwork or educational game
11:30 to 11:45: Bathroom break, stretch legs/limbs
11:45 to 12:15: Reading
12:15 to 1:15: Lunch
1:15 to 2:00: Time outdoors or physical activity
2:00 to 4:00: Schoolwork or educational game
4:00 to 5:30: Free time to use phone, play games, or watch television
5:30 to 6:30: Family dinner (together at table)
6:30 to 9:30: Family game or movie time
Keeping a routine will help the children stay focused and on task, while also allowing the parent time to do household chores or work.
Where can I get resources to help my children during quarantine?
Here is a list of websites that can be useful for in-home learning.
- Educational games K-12 https://www.breakoutedu.com/funathome
- Geometry https://www.canfigureit.com/
- Math and language games https://www.arcademics.com/
- Geography and animals https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/
- Phonics skills https://www.starfall.com/h/
- Math and reading games https://www.abcya.com/
- Fractions practice http://www.mathchimp.com/freddysfractions.php
- Cool Kid Facts gives your child access to educational videos, pictures, quizzes, downloadable worksheets, and infographics. They can use these to learn about geography, history, science, animals, and even the human body. https://www.coolkidfacts.com/
Remember: this will eventually pass. Being patient and following rules and regulations about social distancing will play a major role in shortening the timeline for life to get back to where it was. As a parent or caregiver it’s important to be open and honest with your children while also reassuring them that things will be okay.