COVID-19 has impacted a lot of our day-to-day lives, causing interruptions to work, school, hobbies, and now, the holidays. Cases are still high in Texas, so it is important to continue to follow the CDC’s recommended precautions when celebrating Thanksgiving in or out of your house this year.
Is it Safe to Celebrate Thanksgiving This Year?
Many of us are asking this question. The answer is yes, but with some adjustments to our typical Thanksgiving traditions. We all need to put in the work so that all of our day-to-day activities, holidays, and events can be back to normal in 2021. Although the season of giving thanks will look a bit different this year, that doesn’t mean it’s cancelled. Here are a few safety tips you can implement at Thanksgiving this year.
What to Avoid:
- Large crowds. For some families, going to their city’s annual Thanksgiving parade is tradition. This year, families could tune into a virtual event — see below for a list of virtual Thanksgiving events.
- In-store Black Friday shopping. Instead of scoping out deals with hundreds of other shoppers in one store, skip the line and do some online holiday shopping.
- Large family gatherings. We know this is a tough one. However, in order to keep you and your family safe from the spread of COVID, the CDC recommends keeping your gatherings smaller this year.
What Precautions to Take:
- If you’re avoiding both coronavirus AND cooking this year, try to do takeout rather than dining in. Per the CDC, you are at the lowest risk of spreading COVID-19 when you do drive-through or carryout.
- Stop the spread by wearing a mask.
- If you have loved ones over, try to host a meal outdoors.
- Make sure you, those in your household, and any additional family members visiting get tested for COVID-19 prior to interacting.
Virtual Thanksgiving Events
- Turkey Trot | the day, time, and location are all up to you.
- Wine Tasting | November 18th at 6:00 pm CST.
- Parents and Kids Snacktivity | November 21st at 8:30 am CST.
- Virtual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade | November 26th 9:00 am – 12:00 pm CST.
- Thanksgiving Disco | November 26th at 7:00 pm CST.
- Paint and Sip | November 29th at 3:00 pm CST.
Need more to do for Thanksgiving? Here are some ideas for Thanksgiving crafts and fall football meals from the Hospitality Health ER team. *will link once posted to WP*