Getting that positive sign on a pregnancy test can be the most exciting moment of a person or couple’s life. But for many, those feelings of elation may also come with jitters about what to do and what comes next. In order to have healthy pregnancy, here are a few do’s and don’ts. Because each woman’s body and medical conditions are different, double check with your OBGYN on which guidelines are right for you.
Do’s for a Healthy Pregnancy:
- Eat high fiber foods such as fruits and vegetables
- Drink a lot of water
- Continue to exercise in moderation
- Get plenty of sleep
- Take prenatal vitamins
- Visit your dentist
- Go to all scheduled doctor’s appointments
- Get your flu shot
- Take lamaze classes/ childbirth classes
- Get a doula or birth coach
- Take precautions to prevent Zika virus
- Eat raw meat or deli meat
- Eat fish or shellfish that is high in mercury
- Drink alcohol (including wine)
- Drink caffeinated drinks
- Use the hot tub or sauna
- Ignore high stress levels
- Miss doctor’s appointments
- Apologize for the changes that your body and emotions will go through
Every pregnancy is different. Some moms do not experience morning sickness. Other moms only have morning sickness during the first trimester. Some moms have morning sickness all day everyday during the entire nine months of their pregnancy. Taking care of your physical and emotional health is the best way to have a happy pregnancy.
As the baby develops, the mother’s body will change in ways both major and minor. Frequent urination, indigestion, light bleeding and mood swings are common due to hormonal changes. A good support system can make a pregnancy a lot less stressful for expecting moms and parents.
How should you baby-proof your nursery and home to keep your baby safe? Get a few tips here to get started.